Sunday, October 13, 2013

In the Spotlight: Naomi Clark

It's such a pleasure to welcome my fellow Evernight writer, Naomi Clark, with her new book, Blood Hunt!



Guest blog

One of the things I worried about when I wrote BLOOD HUNT was that I was taking my heroine, Ayla, to a completely new city. I was removing her from the world and characters I'd introduced in SILVER KISS and introducing a whole new cast of characters. Part of me felt that book two of a series was too early to do this – that I should spend more time establishing the main cast and settings before branching out. I worried that people who enjoyed SILVER KISS might miss characters like Glory and Vince and be annoyed that they didn't feature in BLOOD HUNT.

But a bigger part of me loved the idea of throwing Ayla and Shannon into an entirely new situation, surrounding them with new people, and seeing what happened. It was a challenge to me as a writer to create a new environment whilst staying true to the world rules I'd established in SILVER KISS. It was great fun introducing characters like Sun, my werewolf runaway, and Clémence, a fierce and determined character I'd love to write more about, and seeing the impact they had on both Ayla and the plot.

Moving away from home also allowed me to expand the world and give readers another viewpoint on the werewolf-human society of the Urban Wolf books. In Paris relations between humans and wolves aren't all that settled – and in fact become downright explosive. I also got to explore werewolf history a little more by taking Ayla and Shannon to places like the Parisian Catacombs and the Museum of Lupine History. Little touches like this, I hope, have made their world more fleshed-out and fully-realised, a world you can really believe exists. It's the small details that make a world real for me as a reader, so it was important to me to get that right as a writer.

Although I did miss my core cast (especially Glory, who is just a joy to write), it was fun to play around in a different part of the Urban Wolf world. Hopefully readers will enjoy it as much as me!



Blood Hunt

Ayla Hammond is taking on Paris.

Hoping for a romantic getaway in the City of Lights with her girlfriend, Shannon, she finds a city under the dark thrall of Le Monstre.

Getting caught up in mystery and murder was the last thing Ayla and Shannon expected to find in the City of Love, but as the body count grows and tension rises between Parisian werewolves and humans they find themselves stalked by an unknown terror.

What is Le Monstre and why does it make Ayla's wolf want to turn tail and run? Can it be stopped before they become its next victims?

Naomi Clark

Naomi Clark lives in Cambridge and is a mild-mannered office worker by day, but a slightly crazed writer by night. She has a perfectly healthy obsession with giant sea creatures and a preference for vodka-based cocktails. When she's not writing, Naomi is probably either reading or watching 80s cartoon shows, and sometimes she manages to do all three at once.



No comments:

Post a Comment