Wednesday, October 30, 2013

In the Spotlight: Elodie Parkes

Today I'm so happy to welcome my fellow Evernight author, Elodie Parkes. :)






Hi, thank you for inviting me here to talk about my hot new Evernight release, ‘Night of the Horse’.
The inspiration for the book came from seeing a paddock with more than thirty horses grazing in it. I have to travel sometimes with my job, and there’s a particular route I need to take to get to one part of the county. It takes me through beautiful countryside and past what I believe is the back of a horse stud. The first time I saw the paddock full of horses they were dotted about grazing. It’s a massive grassy area that slopes upwards to a hedgerow. I slowed my Jeep right down to look at the horses, but another vehicle suddenly came along on the country road and I had to drive on. On my way back, I hoped to see the horse again, but they were gone.
When I was asked to go that way again for work, I took my camera, hoping to photograph the horses, because they are all different colors and sizes, and very lovely.
The paddock was full of them again and they were running, galloping around and around as if they were in some mysterious race only they knew about. I found a place to take my Jeep off the road and walked back to photograph them. I’d only taken a few minutes to do it, but when I reached the paddock where the fence allowed access, only two horses were left, a white one with a long flowing mane and a tall glossy black one. Who knows where the others had gone, maybe over the hill through a gap in hedgerow I couldn’t see.
I stood by the fence and both horses walked down to me. I had climbed onto the bottom wooden bar of the fence and balanced there. The black one came right away up to me and nudged my shoulder. Then the white one pushed his head away turned back to me and nodded. I think they were used to someone coming along with apples or carrots, but it was funny and so nice to have those two gorgeous animals communicate with me like that.
On my way back home after work the paddock was empty. That night I started writing, ‘Night of the Horse.’


I’ve chosen to introduce one of my heroes, but there are really three.
Both the male characters are heroes and the female too, as they all save each other from the lonely life that’s befallen them. How they do it and the journey to salvation is the story.

‘Night of the Horse’
A lonely young woman signs up for dance lessons. Two gorgeous guys find her as fascinating as she finds them. On the country road where she lives, she hears horses in the night, and opens her bedroom window to watch them gallop. They’re beautiful, a silver white horse and tall black horse...they turn to stare at her. Had they heard and understood when she sighed over them?


Meet Jude
He’s six feet tall, fit, and muscled.
His hair is shoulder length, dark and glossy.
His eyes are sapphire blue.
He’s traveled a lot in his life, sometimes to hide from scrutiny.
His favorite clothes are faded denims and black boots, except when he’s a dance partner in his best friend’s classes, when he wears a tux.
He doesn’t sleep much and so takes walks in the night.
He’s lonely and looking for love.
He’s an artist.
He’s passionate, enigmatic, and sexy.
He has his own business.

Buy Links:


About Elodie Parkes
Elodie Parkes is a British author writing romance, erotic, contemporary, and often with a twist of mystery, paranormal or suspense. Her books are always steamy, cool stories and hot love scenes.
Elodie lives in Canterbury with her two dogs. She works in an antique shop by day and writes at night, loving the cloak of silent, darkness that descends on the rural countryside around her home.
She has also released titles as an individual indie author.




Excerpt from Night of the Horse

She gazed at Jude. When he opened his arms to her, she went into them. He held her close, a hand in her hair and an arm around her waist, cradling her against his chest. She raised her head, and Jude bent his, until his lips were so close to hers it was agony as she craved his kiss.
“Kiss me,” she whispered, unable to stand the wait.
Jude kissed her. A wave of desire started in her stomach and reached to between her legs, where she pulsed with need. He kissed her and she clung to him, kissing him back eagerly. Jude held her head and moved his face against hers as they caught their breath. His eyelashes brushed her cheek.
“Do you want more?” His voice was velvet, dark and enticing.

Copyright Elodie Parkes 2013


2 comments: