Friday, March 14, 2014

In the Spotlight: Jayson James

Interview with Jayson James
Will Green: Tell us about your books that you have available.
PictureClick for Amazon page.
Jayson James: I’ll start with “T.E.D.” my newest release. This book is about three guys Tim, Eric and Delsin, whose lives are intertwined as they each face their own struggles. The story takes place around entries Tim made in his journal while Eric and Delsin provide the back-story of the events taking place.

My other three books chronicle the lives of Derrick Wilson and Justin Parker, two best friends who find out essentially being more than friends was what their lives were missing.

Finding Our Way” is about after one night of drinking and going too far these two friends, Derrick and Justin become aware of their own sexuality.

Tormented Discovery” explores Derrick and Justin being who they are and how others around them handle it.  The readers get to read more about Hayden and get a closer look at his and Ryan’s relationship.

Drifting” focuses on what happens in a relationship when one loves someone but is questioning whether they both are in love anymore.  This time readers get to read from Ryan’s perspective and what is going on in this shy guy’s head.

PictureClick for Amazon page.
Although the books take place chronologically one after another, I wrote each of them as a stand-alone book. My readers started calling the books the “Finding Our Way Series” and the name stuck. After many requests, I released the books together in a series collection.

I also have a few published novellas. “Summer Escape” is about two friends who on a weekend away decide to live by their own rules. I thought it would be a good way for new readers to sample my writing. “Far & Away” is about two guys who meet online, fall in love and realize life is too short to stay apart.

Will Green: What can you tell us about your next project?

Jayson James: After a few failed attempts, I have finally gotten back to writing a book I have titled “Pieces of Us.” When completed, this will be only my second novel to have a title from the beginning of writing it. It is about a guy and girl who are best friends in high school, growing and learning about themselves and others. I’m quite excited about this novel, being it will be different in several ways from my previous published works.

Will Green: Where do you get the information for your book(s)?

Jayson James: Someone once said, “Write what you know.” Although I have never remembered who it was, this is something that has always stuck in my head when it comes to writing something I wanted to share with others. Of course, I have always wanted to write a book where the main character is a killer and have not, which I believe this idea has limited me.

PictureClick for Amazon page.
Will Green: What was the most surprising thing you've learned since you started writing?

Jayson James: That there are people out there that enjoy my writing. I was the most surprised at how five of my closest friends love reading what I have written. Also with writing, there is always room to grow. I am always amazed at how much I improve the more I write.

Will Green: How long does it take you to write a book?

Jayson James: Three to six months on average.

Will Green: Who or What inspires you to write?

Jayson James: Friends, family and living life.

Will Green: What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?

Jayson James: I have to have either the right movie or music playing in the background. There have been times when I am trying to write something and the mood of the noise around me has not been right. I’ve forced it and then been quite disappointed with the outcome.

PictureClick for Amazon page.
Will Green: What book are you reading right now?

Jayson James: “Wide Asleep” by Nick Nolan. He sent me an advanced copy of his book, which is something no one has ever done before. I am still excited about it. Due to some eye problems, I have not been able to read it as much as I like. From what I have read so far, once again Nick has another hit with me. My Kindle always has a few books that I am planning on reading, such as “Game of Thrones,” which I made it through the first three books and have had the last two waiting for me to take the time to read them.

Will Green: Who is your favorite author and why?

Jayson James: This has always been a tough question for me. I suppose it depends on my mood. So let me name a few that come to mind. Nick Nolan writes realistic characters and has such a depth in his stories. He is one of the smartest people I have ever met, yet down-to-earth and real. He writes about people that I feel either as if I know or I want to know or even be. Jay Bell also writes some great characters that I always find myself adoring. His books always grab ahold of me and make me cry several times throughout reading them. James Patterson, especially his Alex Cross Series I have always enjoyed. His chapters are so short, I always get a feeling of accomplishment as I read and every time I think I’m growing tired of his work, he puts out something that grabs me right back in. Stephen King I have to mention as well. Over the last few years, I have read through some of his “bigger” books in a small amount of time and have truly enjoyed them. He goes into too much detail at times for me, but he typically has a way of keeping me reading and turning the pages.

Will Green: What kind of music do you listen to and why?

Jayson James: I like a variety of music ranging from modern, musicals and 80’s. Pretty much anything upbeat is what I am drawn towards, especially if it is something I can sing along with. Sometimes I will listen to the same song over and over again. When I’m writing I often have a playlist of 10-12 songs I will listen to through the duration of the writing project. Other times I will hear a song that invokes emotion in me and helps keep me in a particular state of mind.

Will Green: What do you watch on TV and why?

Jayson James: I generally watch TV twice a week, being I do not like to have it take up what I already feel is a limited amount of time. Some shows I that I enjoy watching are “The Walking Dead” and “Shameless”, both being they are entertaining and I can find myself relating or thinking about what I would do if I were in the situations they find themselves in.

Will Green: What kind of advice could you give an aspiring writer?

Jayson James: Do it! Find people who will support you and be honest with you. Be willing to take constructive criticism and grow from it. Do not get discouraged. Those who support and like your writing, value these relationships.


And be sure to connect with Jayson James.
Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment